What am I responsible for as a resident?
Typically all residents are responsible for the following:
- Securing all utilities for home, unless otherwise provided and insuring they are uninterrupted.
- Lawn Care, unless otherwise specified. (We provide lawn maintenance for multi-unit (4 or more) apartment buildings only)
- Changing the furnace/air conditioning filters monthly
- Minor repairs to your home, including, but not limited to, replacing light bulbs and clogged drains
- Changing the smoke detector batteries during tenancy
- Pest control
- Conducting yourself in a manner that will not disturb your neighbors
- Keep the unit clean and not littering the grounds or common areas
- Disposing of garbage and waste in a proper manner
- Maintaining your apartment and common area areas in the same general physical condition as when you moved in
- Following the terms of your Lease Agreement.
When is my rent due?
- Rent is due on the 1st of the month and late on the 5th. Rent must be in our office by the end of the business day on the 4th of the month in order to receive the discounted rental rate. If you pay rent on or after the 5th of the month, no discount will be given and the rental rate with be an additional $50.00.
How can I pay rent after I move in?
- Rent can be paid by mailing payment to P.O. Box 426, Martins Ferry, OH 43935, pay online, or by paying in person at our business office at 250 N. 7th Street, Martins Ferry, OH 43935.
What happens if my check payment is returned?
- We will notify you and expect immediate payment. Additionally, you will be required to submit a returned check fee of $25.00 as well as any applicable late fees. Any future rent payments will need to be made by cash or money order.
What happens if I do not pay my rent?
- If you have not paid your rent by the 15th of the month, you will then receive a Notice To Leave Premises which allows you 3 days to comply with the notice and make arrangements to pay or we have the right to file an eviction with the Court.
When my lease expires can I just move out?
- No. Even though the initial term of your lease expires on a certain date, as stated in the “RENEWAL” section, it automatically renews on a yearly basis. If a 30 day notice has not been given at the end of the initial term, all Lease specifications are still in full force until proper notice is given by either party at the end of the current lease term.
Can I apply my security deposit to my last month’s rent?
- No. Your security deposit is held and cannot be applied to any rental payments.
How do I place a non-emergency maintenance request?
If your apartment or rental home needs maintenance attention, you may simply do one of the following:
- Call our office and let us know @ 740-633-2599 ext. 4
- Submit your maintenance request through our website at the following link – MAINTENANCE REQUEST
- Print out a Maintenance Request Form and bring completed form to our office @ 250 N. 7th Street, Martins Ferry, OH 43935 or Scan and email your Request Form to maintenance@OhioRiverProperties.com
What constitutes an emergency repair?
- If you have an emergency, please call our maintenance line @ 740-633-2599 ext 4. An emergency repair is defined as a concern that will cause an immediate safety hazard to you and/or other residents, or damage to the property. Some examples of this would include a gas leak, electrical problem, or a broken pipe.
- IF YOUR EMERGENCY REQUIRES THE FIRE DEPARTMENT, PLEASE CALL 911 BEFORE CONTACTING THE MAINTENANCE LINE!!!
I want to have a pet in my apartment. Is that okay?
- Pet are approved on a case by case basis. If approved you must pay a one-time, nonrefundable fee of $275.00 per pet and your rent will be increased by $25.00 per month. You may have up to 2 pets in your apartment. We do not have a weight restriction on pets. We do, however, reserve the right to revoke this privilege at any time for harm caused to our staff or your neighbors due to bites, pests or damages to the apartment, so be considerate! Use proper sanitary measures and always cage your animals if you have requested maintenance to come to your residence. If we find that you have a pet without prior management authorization, you could face a fine of up to $1,500.00 and you will be immediately evicted from the property.
Can I withhold my rent for items not being corrected to my satisfaction?
- No. Under the law it is prohibited for a resident to withhold rent for failure to fix items submitted. You can, however, deposit the money into an escrow account until the issue is resolved. Please contact our office to discuss your specific concerns.
Can I change the locks on my home?
- No. Should you desire to change them during your tenancy, you must make arrangements with our office. The work must be done by us. There is a $35.00 fee charged per lock to rekey.
Can I paint my home a different color?
- No. You must first receive verbal or written authorization from management to paint any part of the property.
What do I do if I need to change the terms of the lease?
- A lease is a legally binding agreement and cannot be changed without the consent of both parties. Should you breach the lease by leaving early, typically, you will be responsible for the advertising fees, any other costs associated with re-renting the property, and rental payments until the end of your lease if the property has not been re-leased.
What do I need to do when I move out?
- Your lease details the items that you need to accomplish to properly vacate your home. Once you give us official notice by completing the “Notice of Intent to Vacate” online form, you must then refer to the “Resident Move Out Requirements” form which will detail your responsibilities to vacate your home.
When do I have to return the keys after I move out?
- Keys must be returned within 24 hours of vacating the property. You are not officially moved out until the keys are returned and a Move Out Inspection has been performed. You may be responsible for additional charges if the keys are not returned. You can return your keys to 250 N. 7th Street, Martins Ferry, OH 43935. The proper form can be found under “Resident Move Out Requirements” for you to provide your forwarding address and attach your keys to return to our office.
What do you do with my security deposit after I move out?
The following must be verified before any remaining security deposit will be returned:
- (a) Lease term has expired or agreement has been terminated by both parties; and
- (b) All monies due Management by Resident have been paid; and
- (c)Residence is not damaged and is left in its original condition, normal wear and tear expected, and
- (d)Management is in receipt of copy of paid final bills on the following utilities: water, sewage, and trash.
- (e)Deposit will not be returned if Resident leaves before lease time is completed. Deposit may be applied by Management to satisfy all or part of Resident’s obligations and such act shall not prevent Management from claiming damages in excess of the deposit. Resident may not apply the deposit to any of the rent payment.
- Before you vacate the property, someone from our office visits the property and performs a move-out inspection to assess the condition of the property. Once the cleaning fee stated in your Lease Agreement is deducted, your account is confirmed to have a zero balance owed, and all Lease Agreement terms have been met, we will then process your remaining security deposit refund and notify you of the status within 30 days.
When can I get my security deposit back?
- You will receive notice regarding the status of your security deposit within 30 days. This will be mailed to your forwarding address. If a forwarding address is not provided to us, security deposits notice and/or returns will not be processed until that information is received.
What if my security deposit does not cover my charges?
- We will email or mail you a letter notifying you of a balance due. Payment will be expected promptly. In the event that we do not receive payment, legal action will be taken against you.